Wednesday, May 20, 2009

is it bad...

that I am posting while I'm on call? I must say psych is the chillest and most awesome rotation. I think I've gone out to eat lunch more than half the time. Anyways, I am currently in the resident's room reading my email, updating my blog, and entering all those darn patient encounters that I haven't been keeping up with.

What I love about this rotation of course are the hours, the staff, and the stories that the attendings and residents have accumulated through the years. I also think watching the patients roam about in the hallways is so interesting...from a distance. I find that they can be quite scary and intimidating when they are up close. I feel like there is more entertaining than actual learning on my part. I am getting a bit more familiar with the medications, but still struggle sometimes with the interview and writing notes. I think I just need more practice...but I get slight stage fright when it's time for me to take control. But as a whole, the rotation is awesome, but in the end, I don't think I could ever be a psychiatrist. The kind of patience it takes to listen to their pressured speech, delusions, paranoias, religious extremes, etc. is something I don't have. I think I am in general a patient person, but some of my patients test me several times a day, and after awhile they just give me a headache.

Oh and the smell of shit...is so incredibly unappetizing. Maybe I can't be a GI doc (I've been toying with every specialty)... Anyways, Tammy the obese woman with trichotillosis is basically like a one year old. She never developmentally grew and is mentally retarded. Remember how I told you about the blood on the wall from her head banging? Anyways, she has been caught twice by the night staff of picking at her scab and smearing the blood. Of course when she was called out by the nurse, she then started to actually head bang. And when she was taking her shower, she smeared her blood all over the walls and door. Sigh... And she also shits in her pants too when she can't cope or wants attention, and my gosh did her room smell. She chooses to drink lots of milk and eat other assorted dairy products like ice cream. She does fairly often too, about once every day or two. Unfortunately, this is the best Tammy can be. She should have been discharged last week or so, but because of a change in insurance or something, she is stuck at the hospital until the first of June.

All right, not sucha long post today...but just a few quotes to leave you with...

"You guys laugh too much. You're going to get pregnant." from "Diane," who wears her scrub pants as overalls and a towel on her head. I forgot to mention she has obvious hirsutism (inappropriate facial hair). Her grey stubbles on her chin and upper lip would make any Asian man jealous.

"Girl, you're pregnant." sigh...have I gained that much weight? Anyways, this is from the girl who thinks I am her sister.

"I have the power to strike you down." This is the 19 year old girl who thinks she herself is a child of God, who is carrying another child of God.

I've been here 2 hours, and I have 3 more hours to go. Though the resident said I could just leave anytime...and I don't even have to tell him...

No comments:

Post a Comment